History of Ashgabat, capital of Turkmenistan, began after 1881, when the Russian Empire captured Turkestan. The Russians built a fortification near the small village, whose name means “beloved city” (Ashkhabad). Later, through the locality hosted the Central Asian Railway. The city, which lies at the crossroads of trade routes, grew and spread. For some time the town was called Poltoratsk. In 1927 we changed one letter, and it was renamed Ashgabat old name.
Modern look appeared in the period of recovery after the earthquake in 1948 following a strong impetus to the transformation of the capital began in 1991 – after independence.
In 1994, in the city center near the new airport has earned them. Saparmurat Turkmenbashi. The international terminal has connected Ashgabat with all capitals and major cities in the world.
All of the most notable attractions associated with the names of the presidents of Turkmenistan. In 1998, the famous French construction company built the Presidential Palace for Saparmurat Niyazov.45-meter three-storey building of white marble, crowned with gilded dome. In the interior used marble and precious woods. In 2008, the same firm entrusted with the construction of a luxury residence for the second Turkmenbashi – Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov. Construction and design works have cost in excess of the amount of 250 mln. Dollars. Oguzhan palace complex on the greatness and beauty overshadows located near the residence of the first president.
In the year of the beginning of the second millennium in the capital opened a grand Independence Monument. This white hemisphere, on which stands the marble column height of 118 meters. At the top is a gilded crescent and the Five Stars. By the construction of walkway leads to the Monument to the People’s Heroes. At the end, at the foot of the Monument is a large golden figure of President Niyazov.
Ashgabat like structure affecting its height and monumentality. A favorite material – white marble and gilding. It was not an exception and the Monument of the Constitution. On the 10-meter pedestal, decorated with staircases and fountains, is the foundation in the form of an octagonal star of Oguz Khan. Further rises 185-meter four-sided stele, on each side of which there are 5 carpets. The number 5 is not accidental, it symbolizes the union of the five local nomadic tribes.
It is also worth to see the arch of Neutrality and Memorial victims of the earthquake. Very informative will visit the Turkmen Carpet Museum.
Things continued this glorious city at a distance of 15 km. Firstly, it is the ancient ruins of Nisa Parthian fortress, which existed even before the beginning of the era. Secondly, the Mosque of Turkmenbashi Ruhy built in the village of Kipchak – the homeland of President Niyazov. The grand marble structure has four 80-meter minarets and striking grandeur and scale