The fortress, located in the vast desert plains of Khorezm, was first discovered in 1938 as a result of a happy accident. It is unusual for the architectural style of the time form of the fortress „The dead sheep“ (so translated its name) has attracted the attention of researchers. The fortress, equipped with powerful defensive infrastructure, had a round shape.
Features of the outside of the fortification
From the outside, the castle was built in the form of a geometrically perfect circle, the center of which was used for the construction of the fortress. Additional belt made of strong brick walls, equipped with multiple towers, served as another line of defense. The space formed between the defensive wall and the fortress itself, is also not empty. Scientists have discovered there the remains of houses, household items and so on.
It was an impressive and immediate area of the building:
- Building diameter exceeds forty meters;
- The height of buildings is up to eight meters. It is worth noting that the maximum heights of the scientists were able to establish only by the site of the fortress, which has been preserved to our time;
- The total diameter of the entire complex reached ninety meters.
Important archaeological finds
Numerous archaeological expeditions conducted on the territory of the complex, have helped find a great variety of valuable historical artifacts:
- Multiple pieces of clay pottery;
- Arrowheads made of bronze;
- Ruins of defensive works;
- Various kinds of decorative ornament and so on.
The study found historical objects revealed that the earliest of these date from the fourth millennium BC.
Historical stages of development of the fortress
A new impetus to the study of the fortress „dead sheep“ was given in the early fifties of the last century. As a result of extensive archeological expedition managed to establish with certainty that the castle has gone through several stages in its development:
- From the fourth to the third century BC lasted „early stage“. At this time, the fortress territory was serious destruction caused by the fire. While historians have refrained from commenting, what or who exactly was the cause of such a large fire;
- At first there was a „central stage“ for the second century of our era already.
Historical and cultural characteristics of the complex
The scientists were able to establish that the „dead sheep“ fortress performs many important functions in ancient Khorezm. Firstly, it was the most important temple complex. Secondly, the fortress „dead sheep“ was directly related to the formation of the state of the ancient city. Thirdly, this is where lie the remains of the city’s rulers.
The centuries-old history of the fortress „dead sheep“, is unique in many aspects, is full of dramatic defeats and great victories. Many helped this fortress and archaeologists, who found here a lot of valuable artifacts from different epochs:
- Artistic murals;
- Religious buildings;
- Various types of weapons and so on.
Ethnographic research in this fortress revealed that the majority of the population practiced Zoroastrianism. People worshiped the gods personifying various natural disasters:
- Siyavush – the lord of the sun;
- Anahita – patroness of the water surface and so on.
Another bright architectural feature of this tower is the location of the main complex. For example, its western side is completely dedicated to Anahita, and the southern and eastern – Siyavush. This view is confirmed by the numerous ethnographic finds in various parts of the complex, for example, sacred statues, ancient vessels, and so on.